Skip to content
- Vincent Cianni lectures on Gays in the Military at The Library of Congress, September 23, 2014. LCGLOBE Press & Daylight Press.
- We Skate Hardcore is exhibited at SHOOT!Quinzaine Photographique Chamonix-Mont-Blanc, October 2, 2014..
- May Gallery exhibition of Gays in the Military Press Release.
- The Katie Couric Show takes a close look at life in the military before and after “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” based on photographer Vincent Cianni’s Gays in the Military. June 9, 2014.
- Daylight.co publishes Gays in the Military in digital format June 1, 2014: Gays in the Military brings together portraits, interviews and audio that reflect on the experiences of gay service members and veterans.
- Gays in the Military is reviewed in Slate (May 2, 2104) and ABC NEWS (March 2014).
- The Archive of Documentary Arts partnered with Daylight Books, the Sallie Bingham Center, the Center for Documentary Studies for a series of talks, presentations and conversations on Gays in the Military. April 23-25, 2014.
- Brooklyn Boxer Rises: New York Times publishes feature article by Susan Hartman with photographs by Vincent Cianni on Heather ‘The Heat’ Hardy, an up-and-coming Brooklyn boxer. April 4, 2014.
- Out, and Serving: The New York Times publishes photographs from Gays in the Military as a feature article in the Sunday Review, March 9, 2014. Interview by Nathaniel Frank, author of “Unfriendly Fire”.
- Huffington Post Gay Voices publishes blog on Gays in the Military, March 20, 2014.
- Book signing and party hosted by Don Bramer at at MOVA DC, May 16, 2014. Click to view press release.
- Gays in the Military is published by Daylight with a book launch and reception March 7, 2014 at ICP in NYC. NOTA BENE: Gays in the Military is now in its second edition printing.
- Vincent Cianni and Susan Hartman conducts The Art of the Photo Essay workshop at the Center for Photography at Woodstock on Saturday, June 14 and Sunday, June 15, 2014. Class is limited to 15 so please register early.
- Publication of Gays in the Military is successfully funded July 31, 2013 on Kickstarter
- Gays in the Military is presented at the American Psychiatric Association’s Annual Meeting in San Francisco, May 21, 2013 as part of the symposium, Bringing the Uniform Out of the Closet: Artistic and Clinical Perspectives of Gay Military Life Before and After “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”
- We Skate Hardcore is exhibited in the Kolga Tblisi Festival, May 2013 along with the workshop, The Art of the Photo Essay on
May 2-3, 2013
- Gays in the Military is exhibited at Stephen Daiter Gallery in “Collateral Damage: The Human Cost of War”, Sept – Dec, 2012
- Museum of the City of New York exhibits Jump, South 1st Street in “City Scenes: New York Street Photography” through July – December, 2012
- Talking Eyes Media is fiscal sponsor for Gays in the Military. For more info click here.
- Fovea Exhibitions exhibits Gays in the Military Nov 12, 2011 to Feb 11, 2012; Panel Discussion: Looking Back on the Gay Ban, Jan 14, 2012
- La Lettre de la Photographie blog on Gays in the Military
- Gallery Kayafas exhibits Gays in the Military in the exhibition Intra Country: Patriotic Expressions, July 6 – August 11, 2012. First Friday August 3rd, 5:30 – 8:00.
- My Gays in the Military Kickstarter project was featured in the Nov. 2011 fotoMAGAZIN article on the new crowd funding websites
- Recent Publications: Photography as Activism: Images for Social Change. Michele Bogre. Boston: Focal Press, 2011
click to view image; Photograph Magazine, Jan/Feb 2012 & Chronogram, Dec. 2011
- Recent interviews/blogs: FotoEvidence & GayTravel.com
- 2007 The Rare Book, Manuscript & Special Collections Library at Duke University establishes study & research
archive to collect projects made throughout career as a documentary photographer.
- Robert and his watchdogs, is exhibited at MFAH, 5/22-8/31, 2011.
- 2010 Palm Center Research Fund Award for Gays in the Military.
- 2010 Faculty Research Fund Award Parsons the New School of Design to help fund travel & materials for Gays in the Military.
- The NEW YORKER published a photograph to illustrate “The King of Norway” by Zvi Provizor. Jan. 17, 2011. Click to view issue.