Home TopGays in the MilitaryThrough compelling photographs and interviews made over three years on road trips across the U.S., Gays in the Military (published by Daylight Books, May 2014) tells the stories of gay and lesbian men and women who served in silence. This oral and visual history will be archived at the David M. Rubestein Rare Book and Manuscript Library at Duke University and is available as an exhibition and multi-media installation.
Gays in the Military is published by Daylight Books and is available here
click to view and read more >>
- Gays in the Military Press Release.
- The Katie Couric Show takes a close look at life in the military before and after “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.” Hear about the differences in the system and photographer Vincent Cianni’s stunning book of gay and lesbian service members. June 9, 2014.
- Daylight.co publishes Gays in the Military in digital format June 1, 2014: Years in the making, Gays in the Military brings together portraits, interviews and audio that reflect on the experiences of gay servicemen and women serving in the armed forces.
- Gays in the Military is published in Slate (May 2, 2104) and ABC NEWS (March 2014).
- The Archive of Documentary Arts partnered with Daylight Books, the Sallie Bingham Center, the Center for Documentary Studies, and Spectre Arts to bring documentary photographers Vincent Cianni and Mariette Pathy Allen to Durham for a series of talks, presentations and conversations. April 23-25, 2014.
- Brooklyn Boxer Rises: New York Times publishes feature article by Susan Hartman with photographs by Vincent Cianni on Heather ‘The Heat’ Hardy, an up-and-coming Brooklyn boxer. April 4, 2014.
- Out, and Serving: The New York Times publishes photographs from Gays in the Military as a feature article in the Sunday Review, March 9, 2014. Interview by Nathaniel Frank, author of "Unfriendly Fire".
- Huffington Post Gay Voices publishes blog on Gays in the Military, March 20, 2014.
- view older announcements>>